By: Chuck Richardson On June 6, 2017

All states require drivers to have at least a minimum amount of car accident insurance in case they get into a collision and need medical treatment. In Oklahoma, each driver should have minimum coverage per accident for the following:

  • $25,000 for injury or death per person
  • $50,000 total for injury or death if multiple people were hurt in the crash
  • $25,000 for property damage

Oklahoma also requires insurance companies to offer uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage to all drivers unless they sign a waiver specifying they don’t want this coverage.

However, while it might be a little cheaper in the short term to forgo UIM and UM coverage, if you do end up in a car accident with a UM or UIM driver, you could be out thousands of dollars if you are injured.

The reason car insurance is necessary in the first place is to protect people from the excessively high medical bills they might incur after an accident, particularly if they sustain catastrophic injuries. If you are injured by someone who doesn’t have insurance, you will have to pursue a personal injury lawsuit, which might not gain you much if they don’t have a high income to begin with.

UIM and UM motorist insurance covers situations such as when the driver responsible for the accident has no liability coverage, when a driver who caused the crash flees the scene unidentified, or when the driver responsible for a collision is driving a stolen vehicle.

In 2012, the state of Oklahoma was number 1 in the state for having uninsured motorists. It was estimated by the Insurance Research Council that at least 25.9% of drivers were uninsured. These statistics indicate you have about a 1 in 4 chance that the next time you get into a car accident, the other driver will have no insurance to cover the damage.

Uninsured drivers are also a problem because sometimes the total cost of the damage exceeds the minimum amount required by the state. For example, if an accident leads to partial paralysis, $25,000 will not be enough to cover your medical bills, rehabilitation costs, and lost wages when you need to take time off to recover from your injuries.

If you’ve been injured by a negligent driver, don’t hesitate to call us. Richardson Richardson Boudreaux, PLLC is a firm that can offer you skilled Tulsa auto accident attorneys who have obtained millions in verdicts and settlements on behalf of our past clients. Let us offer you our experience and knowledge as we work to meet your legal goals.

Contact us at 918-492-7674 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case consultation today.

chevron-down linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram