Car accidents can be extremely traumatic and frightening experiences, even for those who are not directly involved. When witnessing a car accident, many people feel frozen at the prospect of deciding whether or not they should get involved. This choice can only be made on an individual basis, as only you can decide to what degree you involve yourself, or if you want to jump in at all. Unfortunately, as common as car accidents are, you are more likely to witness one and be faced with this situation sooner than you may think.
If you witness a car accident, don’t panic. Consider these tips instead:
- Don’t put yourself in harm’s way. While choosing to help a stranger is an extremely noble act of kindness and service, it is important to keep yourself in a safe zone to prevent further catastrophe. Be very cautious to avoid broken glass, leaking fuel, flames, or other car debris.
- Pull off to the road as soon as it is safe, turn your hazard lights on, and park a certain distance away from the scene.
- Call 911 immediately. You cannot assume that anyone else will, especially those involved in the accident, as they may be too injured to reach out for help. Provide the operator with any crucial information, requesting emergency services if necessary.
- Provide assistance to the drivers and passengers if possible. Though you should not interfere when there are medical professionals on the way, those involved may need help exiting their vehicles or getting out of danger.
- Take photographic evidence. You may be asked to provide a statement to the police, so any additional proof is welcome.
EXCELLENT LEGAL ADVOCATES PROUDLY FIGHTING ON BEHALF OF THE INJURED
Accidents are scary to witness but they are even scarier to be a part of, which is why our trusted team at Richardson Richardson Boudreaux, PLLC will not stand down in the face of injustice. Our firm has cultivated a reputation of unparalleled excellence and sincere dedication to ensuring negligent or reckless parties are held liable for what their actions have caused.
Have you been injured in an accident? Don’t hesitate to contact us by calling 918-492-7674 to schedule an initial consultation today.