Many of us consider our pets to be another member of our family, especially dogs whose companionship is often cherished and valued. While dogs are often man’s best friend, in the hands of a negligent owner, they can become unpredictable and out of control. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), children are more likely than adults to suffer a dog bite injury. Additionally, the dog bites they suffer are often more severe. To protect ourselves and our young ones, it is important to do what we can to prevent dog bites. Of course, these incidents are not always preventable and, in the event that you do suffer a dog bite, it is critical that you hire a skilled personal injury attorney who is experienced in handling such matters.
Below is a list of some tips that can help prevent dog bite injuries from occurring:
- Many of us feel tempted to pet a dog when we see one, but it is important to always ask the owner first and ensure you have permission.
- If you are ever approached by an unfamiliar dog, remain motionless to avoid startling it or triggering a violent response.
- If you are knocked over by a dog curl into a ball and tuck your head in your hands to stay as protected as possible.
- Make sure your children understand that they should always inform you if they see any stray dogs in the neighborhood or dogs that are exhibiting strange behaviors.
- Never panic or run from a dog.
- If a dog is eating, sleeping, or caring for its young, do not disturb it.
- No matter how friendly a dog might be, you should never allow children to play with it unsupervised.
- Do not encourage your dog to play aggressively and never play aggressively with someone else’s dog.
If you are bitten by a dog, make sure you see a medical professional as soon as possible. Several diseases can occur as a result of a dog bite, including tetanus and rabies. Make sure you also report the bite to your local animal control agency or police department.
DOG BITE INJURY ATTORNEY IN TULSA
If you were bitten by a dog, one of the first steps you should take is to seek medical attention. Additionally, to increase your chances of securing the compensation you deserve, you should hire an experienced personal injury attorney. At Richardson Richardson Boudreaux, PLLC, our team of dog bite injury attorneys in Tulsa is dedicated to fighting on behalf of the wrongfully injured.
Start your dog bite injury case today and contact our law firm at 918-492-7674 to schedule a free case evaluation. You will not owe us any legal fees until we win your case!