PRODUCT LIABILITY & YOUR CONSUMER RIGHTS: HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Manufacturers, retailers, and designers all have different roles in producing and distributing the goods that find their way into the American marketplace. In our capitalist society, healthy competition between producers plays a balancing act with the demand generated by consumers. This give-and-take forces producers to keep prices fair in order to fulfill demand. This system also helps to encourage market growth. As consumers’ demands change or expand, producers and entrepreneurs have the opportunity to grow and evolve in response to that demand. This creates a robust society where ideas and creation is rewarded and where the consumer’s wants are paid attention to and respected.
Unfortunately, some unscrupulous companies take shortcuts in order to fulfill demand and make money. Some rush new products, medical devices, or pharmaceuticals to market in order to meet a burgeoning consumer demand or new gap in the marketplace, but they don’t fully test the product or drug prior to introducing it. Designers may cut corners in an effort to beat or keep up with the competition. Manufacturers may ignore instructions from designers or emphasize quick mass production over quality craftsmanship. Retailers may fail to post safety warnings associated with usage risks for the products. By failing to thoroughly test, create, and sell their products with an emphasis on protecting consumer safety, these companies put others at risk. They cut deadlines, cut corners, and put buyers in a dangerous position, all to make a profit.
And the worst part is—this kind of behavior is not rare. Too many manufacturers, designers, and retailers are cutting corners when they should be taking extra steps to ensure consumer safety. The long lists of recalls published by companies every year is proof of this inaction and indiscretion. Nothing seems to be immune—everything from car parts to children’s toys have been dangerously made by one company or another, and average American citizens have been hurt as a result. Some have even been killed.
If you or a loved one sustained a major injury that was caused—in whole or in part—by the lack of care displayed by a producer, you should not hesitate to speak with an attorney who knows how to handle product liability cases and who can help you pursue the compensation you deserve for what you have been through.
WHAT ARE SOME TYPES OF DEFECTIVE PRODUCT CLAIMS?
Theoretically, there could be as many types of product liability claims as there are products, but let’s look at a few:
- Machinery – Power tools, farm equipment, and other machinery can be very dangerous if defective or without proper warning labels
- Household items – Children’s toys, household appliances such as toaster ovens, children’s safety devices, and more
- Apparel – Improper fashioning, hidden objects, slippery footwear, irritating fabric, and flammability
- Asbestos – Asbestos exposure through flame retardant materials, drywall, insulation, and other materials can lead to mesothelioma cancer, asbestosis, and more
- Cosmetics – Makeup, lotions, and other beauty products that cause skin reactions, rashes, and other side effects
- Cleaners – Bathroom cleaners, tile cleaners, sink cleaners, and other household chemical cleaning solutions that cause side effects such as eye damage and skin reactions
- Medical devices – Vaginal mesh, hip replacements, and other dangerous medical devices
- Exercise equipment – Treadmills without a proper stopping mechanism, insufficiently sturdy exercise balls, and so on
- Firearms – Defective fire control systems, defective safety settings, and so on
- Automobile parts – Defective brakes, air bags, tires, and other car parts
- Recreational equipment – Dangerous ski / snowboarding equipment, roller coasters, hunting equipment, bicycles, and so on
HERE’S WHAT YOU SHOULD DO IF YOU MAY HAVE A PRODUCT LIABILITY CASE
If you think you may have a product liability case, your first step should be to speak with a Tulsaproduct liability attorney who can answer your questions about your situation and help you determine where you stand. Our team at Richardson Richardson Boudreaux, PLLC is passionate about standing up for those who have been hurt due to the unethical or dangerous behavior of others. We have recovered more than $100 million for our clients in past settlements and verdicts; we have what it takes to stand up for you and to stand toe-to-toe with the toughest, most deep-pocketed corporations and their experienced lawyers.
For more information about your potential case, set up a complimentary case evaluation—risk free! Call Richardson Richardson Boudreaux, PLLC at 918-492-7674. We look forward to serving you and your family to helping you achieve the justice you deserve.