Many of us do not have a lot of experience in dealing with the law or have ever had to work with an attorney, though we have likely heard secondhand accounts or read stories about personal injury lawsuits. However, many of these stories contribute to the myths that permeate our idea of what these types of cases are actually like. Take some time to dispel these myths to give yourself a clearer idea of what you can expect if you decide to pursue a personal injury claim.
BELOW IS A LIST OF SOME OF THE MOST COMMON MYTHS REGARDING PERSONAL INJURY CASES:
- It will cost a lot of money to speak with a personal injury attorney and a lot more to hire one: Oftentimes, most reputable personal injury law firms will provide free consultations for prospective clients. This helps you get to know your potential attorney, before you decide to hire him or her, without having to pay a dime. Additionally, many attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, which means that the attorney you hire will work on your case free of charge, and later deduct the fees if they are able to successfully settle your case or win in court.
- My insurance will cover the costs of my injury: Insurance companies are not interested in helping you. Their goal is to make a profit, which means they will do what they can to pay you as little as possible to make your claim disappear. Therefore, you should not expect to be able to rely on your insurance company to take care of you. You could end up paying for a lot of your own expenses.
- The at-fault party must pay out-of-pocket to compensate me: If you are worried about the at-fault party having to pay for your injuries, this is actually a myth. The reality is that the at-fault party’s insurance company will pay for your claim rather than the person who caused the accident and your resulting injuries. The compensation you receive will be able to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and property damage.
- If I have minor injuries, I might not be worth it to talk to an attorney: Given that initial consultations are free, it is always worth it to speak with an attorney. Additionally, your injuries might not actually be minor. People frequently downplay their injuries, but even a minor injury can add up in medical costs. No matter how small your injury or injuries might be, why would you accept the burden of the costs for something that was not your fault? Do not put yourself in a position where you end up paying for someone else’s mistakes.
- I have plenty of time to file a lawsuit if I change my mind later on: All states have statutes of limitations, which means you have a limited window of time to file your personal injury lawsuit. Once it expires, you will no longer be able to file a personal injury lawsuit or receive compensation for your injuries. That is why it is so crucial not to hesitate on these matters.
PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER IN TULSA
If you sustained injuries in an accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you need skilled representation you need to hold the responsible party liable. At Richardson Richardson Boudreaux, PLLC, our Tulsa personal injury attorneys are committed to helping victims of accidents, negligence, and wrongdoing. Do not hesitate to reach out to us.
Contact our firm today at 918-492-7674 to request a complimentary case review with a knowledgeable member of our legal team.