What Are the Most Common Anesthesia Errors?
Undergoing a surgical procedure, especially those that require the use of anesthesia, is inherently risky. However, certain errors only occur when medical professionals act negligently, resulting in injuries or even death. If you sustained injuries due to an anesthesia error, you need to obtain the legal representation of an experienced medical malpractice attorney to fight on your behalf for the compensation you need to cover your past and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Below is a list of some of the most common anesthesia errors that result in injuries:
- Too much anesthesia was administered to the patient.
- Not enough anesthesia was administered to the patient, resulting in anesthesia awareness.
- Anesthesia was not administered soon enough.
- Overseeing medical professionals did not recognize or prevent the adverse effects caused by the interaction of certain drugs and the anesthesia that was administered.
- The wrong type of anesthesia was administered to the patient.
- Medical professionals failed to determine if the patient is allergic to anesthesia.
- The patient was not provided with proper instructions prior to the procedure.
- The patient was not properly monitored during the procedure while he or she was under anesthesia.
- The equipment or medical devices used during anesthesia were defective or broken.
Anesthesia errors can result in a vast range of injuries, including damage to the heart, brain, or other organs. Moreover, these errors commonly result in a reduced supply of oxygen, which can cause hypoxia and, ultimately, brain death if oxygen levels remain low for a prolonged amount of time. In more mild cases, anesthesia errors can cause blurry vision, ringing in the ears, and confusion.
It is also possible for anesthesia errors to cause blood pressure complications, stroke, seizures, spinal cord injuries, or death. The severity of the injury depends on the error that was made and how quickly the issues were addressed.
Work With a Knowledgeable Medical Malpractice Attorney in Tulsa!
If you sustained injuries as a result of an anesthesia error, you might be eligible for compensation. It is imperative that you do not postpone taking legal action, however. At Richardson Richardson Boudreaux, PLLC in Tulsa, our experienced medical malpractice attorneys are prepared to provide the supportive legal advocacy you need to hold the responsible party liable for your injuries.
We understand that you are likely going through a difficult time, which is why we work on a contingency fee basis. This means that you will not owe us any legal fees until we are able to win your case.
Call our legal team today at (918) 347-6456 to request a complimentary case evaluation with one of our medical malpractice attorneys and learn more about how we can help you!