How Safety Gear Can Help Motorcyclists Minimize Serious Injuries in an Accident
Motorcyclists are nowhere near as protected as other motorists on the road, so it is important for drivers to maintain awareness of their surroundings to avoid a potentially fatal accident. Additionally, motorcyclists must also wear crucial safety gear to minimize the severity of an accident. According to the Insurance Information Institute (III), motorcyclists are 29 times more likely to die in an accident than occupants of a passenger car.
Reducing Your Injuries in an Accident
To protect themselves from serious or fatal injuries, motorcyclists must wear protective safety gear. Proper safety gear can help prevent terrible, debilitating injuries and protect you from inclement weather, so do not underestimate its importance.
Here is a list of some of the safety gear that can keep you protected any time you go out for a ride:
- A helmet: One of the most common injuries a motorcyclist can sustain in an accident is a traumatic brain injury and, without a helmet to soften the blow, this injury can be fatal or life-altering.
- Eye protection: Many helmets provide full-face protection, but if yours does not, you need proper eye-wear. Goggles or glasses can protect you against, wind, debris, and dirt, so that your vision is never obstructed.
- Pants: You should always wear pants when riding a motorcycle, preferably something made out of leather or a similar synthetic material. Never wear shorts, athletic pants, or dress pants.
- Boots: The boots you choose should be tall enough to cover your ankles and must be equipped with non-skid soles.
- Jacket: A jacket might not necessarily protect you from serious injuries in an accident, but it can help prevent one if you choose one with bright colors or reflective materials to make you more visible to other drivers. A proper jacket can also protect you against harsh weather conditions while riding.
- Gloves: You should keep two pairs of gloves to suit warmer and colder weather. Both should be able to offer protection from debris and lessen the possibility of road rash in the event of an accident.
As you can see, there are many precautions you can take to protect yourself while riding a motorcycle. You cannot completely prevent accidents from occurring, especially when other drivers are negligent or driving dangerously, but you can do your best to minimize the impact of it, so you can live to ride another day.
Reach Out to a Knowledgeable Motorcycle Accident Attorney
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, contact the experienced team at Richardson Richardson Boudreaux, PLLC for the skilled legal guidance you need to hold the responsible party liable for your injuries. Our team will guide you through each step of the process and address any concerns you have along the way. Backed by a proven track record of success that includes more than $500 million in verdicts and settlements, you can feel confident in our ability to represent you.
Call our law office today at (918) 347-6456 to schedule a free initial case review with a member of our team.