Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Feeling the wind on your face as you drive out on the open road can be an exhilarating experience, so it is no wonder why motorcycles are such a beloved mode of transportation. As thrilling as they can be, however, they also afford riders far less protection than other vehicles, such as cars or trucks. Of course, this does not mean you should retire your bike or hide it away in storage. Instead, motorcyclists simply need to exercise more caution and beware of careless drivers on the road might not be paying attention.
Below are some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents, which you should be aware of and try to avoid:
- Dangerous maneuvers: When a rider takes on a corner or a bend and miscalculates the angle or size of the turn, an accident can easily occur. This accident is preventable, so to avoid it, make sure you keep an eye on your surroundings and rely on helpful clues, such as signs, trees, or poles, which can indicate the shape of the road ahead.
- Cars making left turns: Approximately 42% of all accidents involving motorcycles and other vehicles occur when a car makes a left turn. This type of accident is common among cars as well, but it is inherently more dangerous when it involves a motorcycle, given its vulnerability and lack of protection.
- Blind sides: Motorcycles are small and easy to miss when a driver is not paying attention to his or her surroundings. Motorcyclists should make a habit out of approaching each scenario on the road with the assumption that the driver does not know you are there. This is also a good rule of thumb for when you are driving past parked cars since people commonly open their doors without checking to see if it is safe to do so.
- Car merges into your lane: This is another type of accident that can happen when drivers are unaware of their surroundings. A car might begin to merge over into your lane without noticing that you are there. Remain as observant of other drivers around and try to anticipate their behavior and look for signs that a driver might want to change lanes.
- Speeding: One of the reasons why people buy motorcycles is because of their ability to go fast and, in 2014, 33% of all motorcycle riders who died in crashes were speeding. While it might be fun to speed on the open road, it is incredibly dangerous. Stay safe and try to cool it when it comes to speeding. Even when you obey the law, motorcycles can still be fun.
- Road conditions: The road itself can pose a danger as well. All sorts of obstacles can arise, such as wet and slippery surfaces, potholes, objects on the road, and other potentially dangerous irregularities. This a major reason why it is important to observe speed limits. If you are driving too fast, you will not be able to react in time to any of these obstacles.
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Tulsa
If you are a motorcyclist who was recently injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver, you will need a fierce legal advocate on your side during this difficult time. At Richardson Richardson Boudreaux, PLLC, our Tulsa motorcycle accident attorneys will deal with the insurance company on your behalf and fight for the fair and just compensation you deserve.
If we cannot win your case, you will not owe us any legal fees!
Contact our office today at (918) 347-6456 to schedule your free initial case evaluation with a knowledgeable member of our legal team.