Why Drivers and Passengers Should Always Wear Their Seat Belts
Many new vehicles have incredible safety features, which often make driving not only safer, but easier. However, despite the strides that have been made in technology, nothing can substitute the use of a seat belt, which continues to be the most effective device when it comes to eliminating or reducing the severity of injuries. Unfortunately, many continue to neglect to take a few seconds to buckle up, whether because they doubt the effectiveness of it, or because they think it is uncomfortable.
Here are some reasons why all drivers and passengers should never neglect this critical safety feature:
- Seat belts secure you in position: In an accident, if your car were to skid or spin, your seat belt would be able to hold you in a position that makes it easier for you to take evasive action. Oftentimes, drivers who are not buckled up, tend to lose control of their vehicles and end up crashing.
- Seat belts prevent ejection: In the event that you are involved in an accident that causes you to be ejected from the vehicle, you are more likely to die than if you were buckled up and seated in the vehicle.
- Seat belts help distribute the force of impact: The lap and shoulder belt help distribute the force of an impact across the strongest parts of your body, which renders you less likely to sustain an injury that is concentrated on your head, chest, or abdomen. If you were unrestrained, this would not be possible.
- Seat belts allow your body to match the speed of the vehicle: In an accident, if you were unbuckled, your body would continue to move at the same speed of your vehicle after the impact. This could cause you to hit the steering wheel, dashboard, or side window, depending on the nature of the crash.
- Seat belts help protect your brain and spine: If you were to hit your head in a crash, it would likely result in a traumatic brain injury, which could range from a concussion to a potentially fatal diffuse axonal injury. Your spine is also quite vulnerable and even a minor injury to the spinal cord can be devastating. Take the time to buckle up and you could spare yourself a great amount of pain and hardship.
Personal Injury Attorneys in Tulsa
Motor vehicle accidents can exact some terribly severe consequences on those involved, leaving injured victims to face expensive medical bills, lost wages, and pain and discomfort from the injuries they suffered. At Richardson Richardson Boudreaux PLLC, we understand the difficulties you must be facing if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident. Our legal team will fight to protect your right to compensation against big companies and insurance agencies to ensure you receive what you deserve.
Contact our law firm today at (918) 347-6456 to schedule a free initial consultation with a knowledgeable member of our team. You will not owe us any legal fees unless we win your case!